Saturday, July 11, 2009

"Where There is Light" performed

As time allows, I have been collaborating with lyricist Emily Thompson over the last few years on an original musical centered on Hades, the Greek god of the Underworld. The song "Where There is Light" was performed as part of the Mannes College Extension Division's summer opera workshop a few summers ago, and I was delighted to see it programmed again as part of the 2009 summer workshop.

I was even more delighted that the lyricist, Emily Thompson, performed the work. I was caught unprepared and had only my phone camera with me, so apologies for the quality of the pics! This is Emily singing to the fine tenor, Francisco Santiago, pleading to leave the underworld and return to "where there is light."

The performance was at the St. Paul and St. Andrew Methodist Church on Manhattan's Upper West Side, July 10 2009.

No comments: