Friday, March 5, 2010

"When Time is Over" presented by NYCC

I'm a little late in posting a recap, but better late than never! On February 23, 2010, Sofia Dimitrova, accompanied by Tamara Cashour (not pictured) performed "When Time is Over" in a concert presented by the New York Composers Circle. The venue here is Saint Peters Church at the Citigroup Building. I was delighted to see so many old and new friends at the concert.

Addressing the audience

Sofia Dimitrova

After the concert congratulations!
As is the habit of the NYCC, I was asked to say a few words about the piece beforehand. Instead, I couldn't help but remark this is the second time the NYCC has asked me to open a concert with a piece that is rather dark in tone. (The first time was "Three Elegies" at Symphony Space, back in 2007, performed by Tiffany DuMouchelle and percussionist Stephen Solook.) It doesn't seem like the best idea to open a concert with pieces along the lines of "Three Elegies" or "When Time is Over!" So I joked that if you want someone to open your concert with one of those slow, meditative, ruminative pieces about life and death, I'm obviously your go-to guy! Fortunately, the audience got the joke. Here's some pics and, because of the low lighting, apologies for the quality! (Click images for larger size.)

No comments: